Tuesday, 12 July 2011
Strawberry cream cheese frosting
On Sunday I baked some simple vanilla cupcakes and jazzed them up with a decadent strawberry cream cheese frosting. Here is the recipe I used:
- 230g (8 ounces or 1 tub) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup real butter, softened
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups icing/powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup mashed, drained strawberries - preferably fresh ( if you use frozen, like I did, make sure they are fully thawed before using)
2. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar, gradually, as well as the the mashed strawberries. Blend the frosting until the sugar is mixed in well.
3. Continue to blend the frosting on a higher speed, adding up to 1/2 cup more sugar to make your desired spreading consistency. ( if you want thinner icing, just add a few more mashed strawberries with their juice)
4. Spread, or spoon, frosting over cupcakes/cake and decorate with strawberries :)
A few notes: The above photo is of one of my cupcakes, taken by The Boyf (amazingly one survived long enough to be photographed). Original recipe found over here.