Tuesday, 13 August 2013
10 things I learnt from my ex
After a break-up there are lots of things that seem to get left behind - pieces of your heart, that great mug you forgot in the kitchen cupboard, the photo album you can never look at again, the dreams you had with that person..... but I have come to realise that there is one main thing you always get to take with you after a big heartbreak, the lessons.
So here is a list of a few of the lessons (there are loads) that I learnt from being with my ex for 7 years (Dear ex boyf, if you are reading this, Thank you so much for the lessons - the good and the bad. I'm glad you were in my life for so long. love always )
1. To love & be loved is an amazing thing - never take it forgranted while you've got it.
2. Everyone argues sometimes, it's about what and how you argue that matters (choose your battles wisely, dont make it ugly and try not to sweat the small, silly things)
3. Insecurities are very unattractive, try keep them in check.
4. Don't neglect your friendships while you are in a relationship.
5. If he really wants to be with you for the long haul, he will buy you a ring. If he doesn't, you are probably not the one for him (tough one, but no point living in denial)
6. Moving in together too soon is never a good idea (it just isn't, trust me on this)
7. Red wine, riding on the back of a Harley and taking photos are things I really like.
8. Your partner cannot & should not be your everything (see no. 4) - So never completely lose yourself in someone else, neglect your needs or stop doing the things you enjoy.
9. Hardly anything beats climbing into bed with someone you love after a rough day.
10. When one person stops trying,the relationship is already over - and no amount of effort and love from one person can save it unless you work as a team again.
What's one lesson you learnt from being with your ex?