The Camps Bay Retreat

My mom and I absconded from our everyday routines to visit the Camps Bay Retreat Boutique Hotel for two nights and it turned out to be a fantastic, relaxing girls getaway.


The Manor House:

Built in 1929, the Earl's Dyke Manor is the heart of the Camps Bay Retreat estate. Since the year of it's completion, the estate has expanded and the Manor house has had a few upgrades - but it has still managed to retain its old world charm.

When entering the Manor house, you are greeted by friendly staff and transported back to a bygone era. You can almost imagine people swanning around in their roaring 20's attire, sipping on expensive liqueurs.


The Manor House comprises 4 hotel rooms, a library, restaurant, various seating areas and the hotel's reception & admin.

Even though there is a lot to love about The Manor, my favourite thing has to be the views. Once you step outside (or are lucky enough to have a ocean-facing, Manor room) you have mesmerizing views across the Atlantic ocean and over the lush gardens of the estate.


The Estate

Located in the coastal suburb of Camps Bay, walking distance from the beach, this luxury hotel is set on 4 acres of nature reserve. The estate features 4 pools (one being a natural, mountain pool), streams, garden paths, a spa, tennis courts and plenty of spaces to relax in peaceful surroundings.

The hotel itself has 19 rooms, spread over 4 different buildings (The Manor House, Deck House, Villa 5 and The Villa). The Manor House is separated from the other buildings by a hanging bridge.

It was easy to feel relaxed in these scenic, palatial surroundings (and, I guess, also a little sad that you can't just move in for good).

Side note:  There are also 5 dogs that live on the estate (Bangers, Mash, Bella, Ben and Bailey). You will definitely get to meet a few of them. They are all mostly social and seem to enjoy interactions with the guests.


Our Suite:

Let me start by saying, I really loved our room. We were lucky enough to be given a suite in The Earl's Dyke Manor House. Our room was elegantly decorated and very spacious. There was an enclosed balcony (with a glorious sea view and a collection of plants), a lounge area, a fireplace, a king-sized bed and a big bathroom (with tub and shower).

Side note: Even though I was travelling with my mom, I still requested a king-sized bed rather than 2 smaller beds. I always find the photographs are better with one bed and also it was definitely big enough for us to share.



The Restaurant: 

Von Kamptz is the hotel's in-house restaurant and it serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. In summer they also offer picnics and BBQ's (both have to be booked in advance).

For an unforgettable dining experience, head to the terrace (if the weather allows). It has beautiful views of the garden and ocean. I think it's a perfect setting for a romantic dinner or, as we discovered, a delicious breakfast (breakfast is complimentary for guests or R195 per person for visitors. It includes a buffet and a'la carte options).

 To read more about the restaurants history (and how it got it's name), click here.


The Spa:

My mom and I decided to treat ourselves to massages at the onsite spa, Mint Wellness. The spa, like the rest of the retreat, was surrounded by nature and had a very tranquil feel about it.

Services at the spa also include: a steam room, spa bath, sauna and outside treatment room (only available in summer months)

My mom had the 60 minute aromatherapy massage and I went for a 30 minute back, neck & shoulder massage. We both enjoyed our time at the spa. Our massage therapists were good (though mine was a little bit harder than I am used to, but I decided to go with it) and the whole experience left us ready for a nap.



Overall thoughts:

We  really loved staying here and it was rather hard to leave. The atmosphere was relaxed, while still being luxurious, and the staff was awesome.

The proximity to Camps Bay beach was a bonus (it takes less than 10 minutes to walk there). One of the days we walked to the beach to enjoy lunch on the strip.

My top tip for locals who want to stay here, but think they don't have the budget for it, is to go out of season. The rooms are more affordable in the winter months and the retreat will be a lot less busy.

Would we go again? Yes, definitely.

Side note: My mom was not keen on any of the photos I took of her, so she asked that I not add any in this post. She was with me though, and she was a wonderful photo assistant.


For bookings or to read more about the Camps Bay Retreat Hotel, visit their site here


Please note: My accommodation was sponsored - but all thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments

Leave me a comment....